Call us to receive a FREE quote for your case 913-558-6739

How Does Kansas and Missouri Treat an Out of State DUI/DWI Conviction?

If you face an out-of-state DUI charge, you may be wondering – what happens now? While most people know the laws related to DUI/DWI in their home state, they may not know the laws in a different state or how to handle the process.

After the Arrest

Each state’s Department of Motor Vehicles has a unique process for dealing with a DUI/DWI charge. Typically, your license is suspended for one of two possible reasons:

  • Your BAC (blood alcohol level) was over the legally established limit
  • You refused the breathalyzer test

When this happens, the arresting officer is going to send a report to the DMV office in the state. When this is done, your license will be suspended, temporarily, until your case goes to court. Usually, you’ll have a limited amount of time to appeal the suspension and the amount of time varies from one state to the next.

At this point, the suspension is only going to involve the state where the arrest occurred. However, if you don’t request a hearing or if you don’t show up to the requested hearing, the suspension will become final and will also apply in your home state. To have your license reinstated, you will probably have to take part in a DUI Safety Program and pay the reinstatement fee.

Understanding the Interstate Arrangements for DUI/DWI Charges

Some states have created interstate agreements allowing offenses for drunk driving to carry over from one state to another, including the Driver’s License Compact and the Non-Resident Violators Compact. With these agreements, the member states communicate with one another about an individual’s driving history and prosecute crimes that occur in other states.

For example, if you reside in the state of Kansas, but you are arrested for DWI in Missouri and don’t respond to the charges, the state of Missouri can notify the state of Kansas to have your license suspended until you handle the case. It’s important to note that both Kansas and Missouri are member states of both DLC and NRVC.

What Happens After a DUI/DWI Arrest Out of Your Home State?

DUI/DWI arrests can carry both administrative and criminal consequences and may inflict severe damage to your future and reputation. If you have faced a charge of drunk driving in a state other than the state where you live, it’s a good idea to hire an attorney.

The Importance of Hiring an Attorney for Help with Out-of-State DWI/DUI Charges

An experienced DWI/DUI attorney can review the facts of your case and determine what needs to be done to help minimize the consequences you face. Don’t try and ignore the problem and hope it goes away simply because it occurred somewhere other than your home state. Both Kansas and Missouri are members of the aforementioned organizations, so this charge will follow you. The best thing you can do is seek legal help right away to minimize the potential consequences you face related to the criminal charge.

If you or someone you know has been charged with an out-of-state DUI/DWI, contact Kitchin Law Firm today for a free consultation, and learn more about how we can help handle the case.

< Back to Blog Listing

Text Us

Call Us

Google Rating
Based on 34 reviews